Volunteer | Support Us | Site Map | Contact

Twitter | Facebook

Displays

We are constantly looking for objects to add to our collections, either by purchase or by gift. Our aim is to create a collection which will give a representative picture, in some depth, of the story of craft and design in the north Cotswolds since about 1900.

In the last few months the following have been acquired.

Silver box by John Kirsten (Jack) Baily (1881-?)

Jewel box, the cover inset central blister pearl, framed by embossed pomegranates and scrolling foliage with hammered finish. Maker's mark, hallmarked for London 1912. Stamped 'J. K. BAILY' and 'Stratford on Avon'

Jack Baily was one of the early members of the Guild, after it disbanded he ran a silversmithing workshop on the first floor of the Silk Mill with George Edward Horwood, William Mark and George Henry Hart.

It was noted at a meeting of the Guild of Handicraft on 2 February 1912 that a padlock had been placed on the workshop door of the Guild, as Mr Horwood (estate agent & Custodian of the Guild property) had reason to believe that some of the common workshop tools were being removed to Mr Baily's new shop at Stratford-on-Avon, & that he had been making an unfair use of the gas in the evenings. It would have been around this time that this box would have been made. (Source; Mallams)

Purchased

 

Silver bowl and cover, 1903 by William Mark (1868-1956) 

William Mark (1868-1956) was an Australian-born silversmith and enameller in the Arts and Crafts style. His work included ecclesiastical metalwork, jewellery and silverware. In the 1880s he was apprenticed to Melbourne jeweller, gold and silversmith and enameller John R. Rowland. 

Mark left Australia around 1895, spent a short time in South Africa and travelled on to London. Here he worked in the craft workshop of Nelson Dawson (1859-1941). Dawson and his wife Edith were leaders in the jewellery of the Arts and Crafts movement and master enamellers. Mark became a member of Guild of Handicraft in Chipping Campden in 1902. After the Guild disbanded Mark, along with George Henry Hart, Jack Baily and George Horwood ran a silversmithing workshop in the Silk Mill, which operated until 1912. Mark then set up his own workshop and registered his hallmark in 1912. He remained in Chipping Campden until 1920 when he returned to Melbourne.
The enamel on this bowl is by William Mark, who joined the Guild in c1900. Alan Crawford writes: His work has superb colour, delicacy of touch, and sparkle, but as Ashbee wrote, ‘His drawing is not good. His most successful work has been to render in colour the drawings of others.’

Purchased with support from a private donor

 

Pair of silver napkin rings

White metal and enamel napkin rings depicting pomegranates and snowdrops, within wirework supports.

We are in the process of researching these rather lovely napkin rings.

Purchased

 

Silver tongs by Sydney Reeve, 1914

Sydney Reeve came from Bewdley in Worcestershire where he had been an art teacher. He joined the Guild of Handicraft in Chipping Campden in 1902 to work as a silversmith. In 1904 he left to teach at Leicester School of Art, and worked there for the next thirty years. When he retired he came back to Campden, and worked occasionally in the old Guild workshops.

The Museum has a collection of about five hundred design drawings by Reeve and photographs of his work.